A cleansing juice fast is a great way to transform your life and lose weight, especially if you’ve lacked motivation. Losing 10 pounds in 10 days will do wonders to your boost your confidence and self-esteem, and assist you with your goals. Remember, the greatest benefits of a juice fasting plan are ongoing. Fasting allows and assists your body to purge itself of built up toxins and waste, stimulating your metabolism and allowing it to work more efficiently and aiding your body to absorb more nutrients from food. In addition, by cutting them out cold turkey you will eliminate detrimental cravings and addictions and cleanse your palate.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Plan Your Time
- Start your juice fasting plan on a weekend. The first two days of the fast are the most difficult, so schedule the program to start on a weekend when you have no serious obligations or commitments. Any food withdrawal effects you are going to experience will occur on these first two days. Additionally, you may experience side effects of the detoxing process such as queasiness or headaches.
- Prepare yourself with distractions. Your body is beginning an important healing process so pamper yourself, even if you don’t feel unwell. Pick out some magazines, rent some movies or plan to update your scrap book, so you can rest and relax at home.
- Schedule a low-stress work week. The first week of the juice fast should not be one filled with business lunches, reports and deadlines. Times of unusual levels of stress are not the best to diverge from routines.
- Schedule a low-stress week on the home front. During your fast you should avoid having house guests, celebrating birthdays or any other social event you really would enjoy attending. It is easy to lose willpower and be tempted to stray from your commitment when you are at an event or celebration where lots of food is on offer or if you have to help preparing the menu.
Making Your Juice For a Juice Fasting Plan
- Find a good juicer. Because you will be using your juicer throughout the day, if it is inefficient you will be irritated and annoyed very soon. Think of a juicer as a long-term investment. A decent citrus juicer costs around $50, but you can use it long after the juice fast is finished to make fresh orange juice. A good quality fruit and vegetable juicer will cost around $100 but allows a greater variety of juices to be made and may inspire you to make fresh juice a part of your everyday life.
- Find your blend. It is up to you how simple or how imaginative your juice fast cleanse is. The popular no-fuss Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet, is simply a mixture of lemon juice, water, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. The concoction uses only one lemon per glass and is very satisfying because of the high nutritional content of the lemons. On the other hand, there is the entire range of fruit and vegetables for you to experiment with. You can make your fast more enjoyable and interesting by discovering the unique flavors, textures and other characteristics of all the different fruits and vegetables.
- Drink it fresh. Within minutes of the fresh juice being prepared, vitamins and minerals are beginning to disappear. If you have to store your juice in a thermos for lunch it will still be good, but whenever possible drink fresh juice. If you are new to juicing you will probably be surprised at just how much juice a vegetable produces so add to your blend gradually, just a few pieces of each vegetable at a time.
- Be consistent. The more regular your diet, the quicker your body will adjust to the juice fasting plan. While you don’t have to drink the same juice day in day out, try not to vary the sugar content or density too much. For example, you might prepare a grapefruit juice or lemonade in the morning, and in the afternoon enjoy a denser, greener blend. Remember that some fruits and vegetables have a higher natural sugar content than other, so if you prepare a blend that is sweeter than usual you might feel a sugar spike and then crash. Try to consume a similar amount of juice each day.
Take Care of Yourself
- Be patient. Sometimes a juice fasting plan is a difficult process to experience and work through, especially during the first weekend. Don’t sabotage the process by taking drugs or cheating while on the fast. Remember that good things are happening to your body and system. You are feeling unwell because you are detoxing, not because you are suffering from a lack of food so eating is not the answer to making you feel better. Drink lots of water and nap frequently, instead of taking aspirin.
- Keep drinking water. Your body differentiates pure water from liquid food and treats it differently. Don’t be deceived into thinking that you must be hydrated because you are on a liquid diet. All foods are liquids by the time they reach your digestive system, and water plays a unique and important role in general, and especially when you are detoxing.
- Maintain a healthy routine. Do some light exercise and get plenty of sleep. You probably won’t want to undertake rigorous activity at this time, but you will have enough energy for an hour long walk, which will lighten your mood and maintain your metabolism.
- Break your fast gently. Begin the process with whole fruits and vegetables. Gradually add rice and simple proteins to your diet. For at least the first three days avoid meats and complex carbohydrates. Your stomach will let you know how much food it wants and needs.
Juice Fasting Plan – Tips & Warnings
Fasting usually causes your body to retain water which can cause the scales to go up and down. Because this can be exasperating and disheartening try to avoid weighing yourself during the 10 days of the juice fast. Trust that the process is working. By the time the fast is complete your body will be regulated and you will then experience the difference not only on the scales, but also with a general feeling of well-being.
If you suffer from a medical condition that will be exacerbated or stressed by fasting, such as diabetes or an eating disorder, do not undertake a fast.
Do not fast if you are a nursing mother or pregnant as your baby has very different needs to you.